If you know me, then you know that my favorite recipes are simple, quick and require very little clean up. Home-cooking is nourishing and therapeutic, but it shouldn't take your whole day or night to make it happen.
This recipe is no exception to my minimalistic philosophy. You can whip up this delicious, crowd-pleasing soup in just under an hour with only 10 minutes of prep work. This dish has become a favorite amongst my family and I'm sure you will love it, too!
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes (optional)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 400ml can coconut milk
1 400g can organic diced tomatoes
1.5 cups dry red lentils
2-3 handfuls of chopped kale or spinach
salt & pepper to taste
Garnish: chopped cilantro &/or vegan sour cream or greek yogurt
1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and stir in the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent (only a couple of minutes).
2. Add the tomato paste, curry powder and red pepper flakes (optional) and cook for another minute.
3. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes and lentils.
4. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are very tender.
5. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6. Before serving, stir in kale/spinach and garnish with cilantro &/or vegan sour cream or greek yogurt.