Black rice, also known as forbidden rice, is an ancient nutrient packed grain. It is the richest rice in disease fighting antioxidants, it helps slow the absorption of sugar into the blood stream and is a great source of digestive fiber and plant-based protein! Oh and let's not forget it tastes delicious with a beautiful natural sweetness to it. Black rice is the perfect base for a morning rice pudding and the coconut milk makes it taste like it's straight from paradise. Enjoy this recipe and get creative as you see fit - it will be delicious however you tweak it.
1 cup black rice (soak 1 to 24 hours if possible)
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 cup filtered water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon unrefined celtic salt (or raw salt of choice)
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown rice syrup ( or sweetener of choice)
1/4 unsweetened dried coconut (optional: lightly toast them)
fruit of choice (optional): mango, papaya, kiwi, strawberries, blackberries, etc.
- If possible: Soak rice in filtered water (keep covered) at room temperature.
- Drain rice from soaking water and place rice into a saucepan with all ingredients except the sweetener and fruit.
- Bring rice mixture to a boil, then cover and lower to a simmer. Cook until rice is soft and much of the liquid has absorbed. Take off of the heat when there is still a little liquid left. It should take 25 minutes to an hour, depending on whether the rice has been soaked.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare and chop up the fruit of choice. Also toast the dried coconut under the broiler if desired.
- When the coconut rice mixture is ready, serve and top with the sweetener, fruit and dried coconut.