I have a confession: up until a few years ago I was addicted to sugar!
I was super restrictive and meticulous with my diet all in the name of being healthy, but come holiday season I was out of control. I could never just have one serving of anything. Just so you can get a picture of my uncontrollable guilty pleasures:
- I could never have one bowl of cereal (minimum 3 bowls) and it wasn't just any cereal... I loved Peanut Butter Panda Puffs. The whole box would be gone in 2 days.
- EVERY DAY at 3pm I would go sit at my best friends desk and reach into her candy jar for a mid-afternoon treat.
- If there was EVER anything sweet in the lunch room I was going to have some. I'd even help myself to more a few times.
- When I bought cookies or pudding, I would eat half of the container in one sitting.
- My theory with a carton of ice cream was: I may as well finish it now so I don't have any tomorrow.
I think you get the picture!
I remember desperately wishing that I could have more control over my sugar cravings. I would tell myself, “just one dessert,” or “I’ll start tomorrow,” or “I'll just exercise a lot tomorrow.” I knew deep down that I wanted to make a change but it was difficult to resist all the temptations around me.
It was only when I started to eat intuitively and got out of the restrictive mindset that things started to change.
I made the decision to listen to my body rather than my mind about when I wanted sugar. I also begin to realize that there was a pattern to my sugar cravings... Being tired was the number one reason. I started to experiment with different nutrition and mindset approaches to create long lasting changes.
That decision to no longer play the “guilt and restriction” game was a huge game-changer. I went from needing it every day to craving it every once in a while. I learned the tools to prevent the sugar cravings from coming up in the first place and what I could do instead eating sugar because I was tired, stressed or emotional.
Now I can leave a carton in the freezer for months. I can have one cookie and feel totally satisfied! And actually skip dessert at a holiday party!
The secret to successfully changing your relationship with sugar is making a decision. It’s about deciding that you are going to take a different approach and take action!
You don't have to give up sweets. You don't have to do a detox or a cleanse. And you don’t have to do it alone. I can help!