If you’re anything like us we absolutely love to cuddle up on the couch and put our head in a book. Especially now that the weather is getting cold outside, there’s no better way to spend a gray day but under a blanket with a cup of tea!
However, the reason we have put this list together is to share with you the books that have made a tremendous difference in our lives and completely transformed our lives forever and we want to share these with you!
These books have shifted our perspective, opened our hearts and our souls, resonated with us so strongly we felt understood or heard, or set us on a path we never thought was possible. We’ve chosen 10 books below that we highly recommend.
1. Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. Since we talk a lot about food and we’ve each had our own experiences transforming our relationship with food this is our first highly recommend book. This book will resonate in a profound way with any woman who has struggled with dieting, her weight, or even just worrying about what to eat. Geneen touches on the deepest parts of our desire for perfection and happiness and its relationship to the way we eat. She explains how transforming our relationship to food is our access to our soul. After reading this book you will experience a whole new sense of freedom around food and acceptance of yourself.
2. You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. Every word of this book is worth reading. This book guides you powerfully to shift your mindset and heal yourself from any illness, including anxiety and depression. She explains in this book how self-limiting beliefs are often the cause of illness. More importantly she takes you through the steps necessary to completely change the way you think and live. This book is an incredible to if you’re struggling with self-doubt and self-worth or fear is holding you back from your dream career or relationship. Even if you’re not, it’s worth taking the time for.
3. The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. This book is all about accessing creativity. However, that gives this book absolutely no credit for the real power behind it. Not only does this book provide activities and insights to cause your creative juices to flow she provides simple activities that enable you to overcome internal mental blocks and self-deprecating behaviors that spill over into every area of life. While reading this book, expect to experience a surge in joy and pleasure as you take yourself on creative dates and fully express yourself through “morning pages”.
4. Creativity: Unleashing the Forces Within by Osho. If you’re ready to be ahead of the game, to be an innovator or a highly desired leader this book is perfect for you. Osho shows you how to think “outside the box” by teaching you how to change your attitude about yourself and your capabilities through the are of being playful and flexible. Taking on the wisdom provided in this book will open up new possibilities for yourself and your life.
5. The Soul of Money: Reclaiming the Wealth of our Inner Resources by Lynne Twist. This book will completely shift the way you think about money. Twist sets you free of all of the negative thoughts you’ve ever had about money. She guides you through a number of personal stories that can transform your conversations about money from scarcity and guilt to ones of liberation, excitement and contribution. If you’ve ever felt like there wasn’t enough money or having or desiring money is bad this is a must read. She explains how transforming our relationship to money can transform the rest of our lives.
6. The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman. If you’ve ever been in a relationship or plan to be in one this book should be on your list, which means there is no one who should not read this book. Gary Chapman concisely and gracefully describes the different ways each person gives and receives love, providing powerful insight into how to have a successful relationship in which both partners receive and give love so they experience a fulfilled partnership. The book also provides a quiz at the end of the book that can be taken to identify your own love languages and the love of your partner. Beyond that however, this book provides hope and access to more intimate relationships and compassion for your partner by understanding his/her needs.
7. Dear Lover & the Way of the Superior Man by David Deida. These two books are so good, we couldn’t choose one. These books provide powerful insight into the opposite sex and the intimate relationships with work. Deida poetically describes how to have a powerful and passionate intimate relationship with your partner. Dear Lover: A Woman’s Guide to Enjoying Love’s Deepest Bliss is a beautifully written book that guides women through their emotions and thought processes while in intimate relationships and shows how those emotions impact their partners. Deida shares how to expand your femininity and sexuality. The Way of The Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work and Sexual Desire while written for men, provides powerful insight into the way men think and interact with women as well as how their connection to their own life’s purpose can impact their relationships and ability to be intimate with women.
8. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This book was written in 1936, but is still regarded as a top leadership and communication book to this day. While the name sounds a little off putting. Dale Carnegie shares simple and practical wisdom to communicate effectively and empower those around you. The basic principles of communication and personal interaction still remain valuable and imperative to success despite changes in business, education, and our social environment. If you’re taking on a leadership role or desire to improve your ability to communicate with others no matter what the relationship, this book is amazing!
9. The Art of Happiness By Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama explores shifting the way people think about life and happiness. As you read through this beautiful book, your perception of the world and about what is important in your life will alter completely. The Dalai Lama explains that our purpose as human beings is to seek happiness and proceeds to explain how to look at life and life’s circumstances to be happier in every moment. Focusing on self-worth, affection, compassion, and dignity; rather than what many people seek (material wealth, beauty, etc.). He demonstrates how to train the mind to be happy and release anger in order to connect to our innate state of happiness and to others.
10. Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work by Steven Pressfield. We all have a unique gift to contribute to the world, yet it seems so challenging to discover what that is. Fear, uncertainty and instability often stop us from even considering pursuing work that would bring us passion and fulfillment. The thought of pushing past what has become a comfortable life scares us away from connecting to our true identity. Pressfield offers wisdom on how to step outside of your comfort zone and lights a fire inside of you to expand yourself in a way that allows you to connect to your true self and move past the challenges you face to get there.
We know you'll love these books as much as we did!
We always love to hear about fantastic books you’ve read. Comment in the box below and share with us what books on our list you’ve read and which ones you recommend!
Hannah and Maris
P.S. These are also great gifts for your loved ones this holiday season!