Let's face it...the commitment to stay healthy is a lot easier to keep on a full and satisfied tummy. Our most challenging moments to stay on track are when we get far below our threshold and become what I refer to as "hangry." You know, that moment when you become so hungry that you become super duper irritable??
Typically, our first line of defense is to panic and grab anything and everything in site to satiate our overwhelming state of starvation. I've found the best way to avoid these attacks is to first try to not let yourself get that "hangry" in the first place, but if you do, make sure to have some go-to snacks that are just as easy to grab as that bag of chips or box of cookies!
My go-to list of healthy and satisfying snacks:
- An avocado stuffed with sauerkraut, dijon mustard and a little dash of celtic sea salt. For an added bonus I like to add nutritional yeast! Avocados are rich in fat and fiber which slow down our digestion and keep us feeling satisfied for longer. They are also rich in oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, which activates the part of our brain that causes us to feel full.
- Celery with nut butter topped with fresh organic raspberries. This gives you the pleasure of a pb&j without all the sugar. Plus, celery balances the acidity in nut butter, making it a perfect combo!
- Organic popcorn topped with coconut oil and celtic sea salt. Either purchase popcorn prepared this way or pop your own. When doing it at home, put the naked popped corn into a paper bag and add melted coconut oil and sea salt over the top. Close the bag and give it a good shake!
- A hard-boiled, pasture-raised egg with celtic sea salt and cracked pepper. This protein rich snack will subside your "hangry" moment fast and will keep you stabilized for a long time.
- A green smoothie. My recent favorite is with avocado, mint, lime, spinach, coconut butter, cashews and almond milk. It's delicious!! Try not to add too much fruit and sugar to your smoothie, because a sugar high will result in another "hangry" crash.
What are your favorite quick and easy snacks, beautiful? Let us know in the comments below!