Do you ever feel exhausted just thinking about exercising? Or have you ever felt like you’re in a workout rut?? It happens to the best of us! It can be easy to get so busy there is no time to exercise or we’re too tired to make it happen. It happened to me after I ran a marathon last January. I was so diligent about training for months, I ran the marathon, and then it happened. . . . running sounded exhausting!!!!! I didn’t want to do it….
But exercise is the key to happiness (okay maybe it’s the key to my happiness), as we all know it has amazing benefits . . weight loss, metabolism, digestion, energy, endorphins (see happiness!), toning, stress relief. . . I could go on!
So I had to pull it together and I’m going to share with you 6 ways to kick start your way into exercising again or for the first time!
1. Start slow. Yes that’s right, if you haven’t exercised in a while be patient. Don’t over do it. You’re likely to exhaust yourself and give up before you even get started. So what does that mean? Start with low impact exercise. Walking is a good way to start! Your energy levels will go up just by being active and then you’ll be ready to take on something new or higher impact!
2. Accept where you are. Sometimes it can be frustrating that you aren’t as in shape as you once were or that you aren’t seeing results like you want to. The key is really accepting that you may not be where you want to be at the moment but you will get there!
3. Do what you like. Don’t let anyone tell you what kind of exercise to do when you’re getting started, do what sounds good to you! The important part is to get moving! Eventually you will have the energy to push yourself or try new things. Until then, stick with what you enjoy and gradually push yourself to try new things or push yourself harder.
4. Bring a friend. Schedule an exercise date with a friend! Not only will you be more likely to stick with it, you’ll have fun! Go for a hike, a beach walk, walk in a park, hit the gym together, or hit a group exercise class!
5. Move everyday even if it’s something small. Find at least 30 minutes each day to move, especially when you’re sitting at a desk all day! Even when you get that feeling like “ugh, I am just too tired, I think I’d rather just get rest tonight” . . . don’t do it. Take 30 minutes to get moving, even if it’s as simple as popping in an exercise video or going for a stroll around your neighborhood. Just move!
6. Get music that makes you want to move! This is the most important part to me. If I have music that I love on my iphone I can exercise for days! I get excited to exercise just to listen to the new music and instead of focusing on my work out I’m enjoying each song! My personal favorite is a little house/EDM because it’s fast paced and makes me increase my speed, but choose what you like. If you want to see what’s on my playlist click here!
Okay love, so take the tips and run with it (literally and figuratively)!!! Get moving and have an amazing time doing it! You can do it and YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!