A while back I did a workbook called An Artist's Way. The book gives you powerful exercises to break through self-doubt and creative blocks in all aspects of your life. One of the most powerful exercises for me, was the commitment to take myself on a date every single week.
At first I had a lot of fear around this task. I didn't know what to do, I hated the thought of being alone, and I believed I didn't have time to take myself on some silly date. I pushed through the resistance and well...it turned out I literally started 'dating' myself. I began enjoying my own company, getting to do whatever the heck I wanted, and ultimately getting to know myself.
So with this I challenge you to take yourself on a date this week. Choose an activity that inspires you and lights you up! The only guideline is that you must do it alone. This is a special time for you and only you.
Here are some great 'first' date activites:
1. Brew up your favorite warm beverage and take yourself on a nice long walk. Listen to the birds, watch the trees move in the wind, and tune into your surroundings. For some ideas of delicious, cozy beverages check out my post on 5 Wonderful Coffee Alternatives.
2. Take yourself to a beautiful place to read. Grab a fun book, water, fresh fruit and a blanket and take yourself to a park, your backyard or the beach. Allow yourself to lose track of time, because you are completely captivated by your book. There is truly nothing better than getting lost in a good story. My current reads are Warrior Pose: How Yoga (Literally) Saved My Life and Dear Lover.
3. Give yourself the gift of a therapeutic Epsom Salt bath. When we feel stressed, our bodies release magnesium. Since most of us are chronically stressed these days, the vast majority of us are magnesium deficient. Luckily, Epsom Salt has loads of naturally occurring magnesium and is very readily absorbed through our skin. As our bodies absorb this precious mineral, we are flooded with a sensation of calmness and relaxation. Sounds pretty good huh? Read more about how to create your perfect bath here: A Calming + Rejuvenating Salt Bath.
4. Have a craft night! We are never too old for a good quality craft night. There is something so peaceful and rewarding about slowly creating something out of nothing. Check out pinterest for some DIY ideas and inspiration, or just start painting and see what expression and colors unfold.
5. Go do that one thing you've been dying to do! Somewhere inside of you there has been a craving for something and this is the perfect time to make it happen! Whether it's that fancy new restaurant, a new film by a director you love, an inspiring art exhibit, or a nourishing cooking class, you should do it. No one deserves this more than YOU.
I hope you fall head over heals in love with yourself darling!
Hannah Marie xo